Research interests are in the field of:
(i) the statistical physics of complex networks and its applications and
(ii) theoretical neuroscience (collective dynamics of neural networks)
The candidates should be proactive researchers with a good record in statistical physics, theoretical or computational condensed matter physics or theoretical neuroscience.
For the neuroscience position, applicants should have experience in simulations. They should be ready to pass an interview to show their knowledge in mathematics and statistical physics. In the application, the candidates should indicate what kind of research they can do, namely, theoretical or computational.
The candidate should also have a really good command of the English language. The candidate should have a recent (less than five years) Ph.D. degree [or should prove that the Ph.D. degree will be received before August 2012]. The selected application will be asked to obtain approval from the Ministry of science, FCT, in the autumn of 2012.
This is a 1-year position with prolongations up to 3 years. Salary is 1495 Euros.
To apply, please send to the following persons - Sergey Dorogovtsev sdorogov (at) ua.pt and José Fernando Mendes jfmendes(at) ua.pt - the set of documents by the 14th of June:
(1) curriculum vitae and a brief letter of introduction,
(2) the list of publications (Please indicate your contribution to each of your papers),
(3) a brief description of work which you would like to do,
(4) indicate the address of your home page if it exists, and
(5) (only upon request) arrange reference letters directly e-mailed by referees.